|High School:||Durfee High School Fall River, MA|
California State University, Fresno
|NBA:||1999 NBA Draft 2nd Round (4th pick, 33rd overall)
Denver Nuggets 1999-2000
Boston Celtics 2000-2001
|Europe:||2001 Italy, 2002 Turkey, 2002-4 China, 2004 Germany, 2005 Iran, 2006 Poland|
- Inducted into the New England Basketball Hall of Fame 2013
- Inducted into the Durfee Sports Hall of Fame 2010
- Scored 2,073 Career Points
- 1994 McDonald’s All American
- Boston Globe, Massachusetts Player of the Year 1992, 1993, 1994
- Gatorade New England Player of the Year 1993, 1994
College – Fresno State University
- Ranked fifth in the nation in assists in 1998-99
- 2nd on the school’s career assists (465)
- 7th with 138 career steals
- All-WAC first team 1996 & 1997
- Denver Nuggets: Played in 45 games and contributed 3.1 points and 2.5 assists in 13.3 minutes per game
- Boston Celtics: Career-high 18 points Celtics against the Dallas Mavericks on 4/6/00
Off the Court:
As reported by numerous media outlets, Chris has struggled with substance abuse for much of his basketball career. Drug-free and alcohol-free since August 1, 2008 Chris has refocused his life to put his sobriety and family above all else. He attends meetings daily to support his substance free lifestyle and often speaks before groups trying to overcome addiction to share his experiences and road to sobriety.
In June of 2009, Chris celebrated 1 year of sobriety and took the next step in his career to launch a basketball player development company, Hoop Dreams with Chris Herren, Inc. Since the summer of 2009 Chris has trained hundreds of basketball players including some of the top basketball prospects in New England.
Off the court he continues to share his story with audiences in the hopes of reaching just one person and making a difference in their life. In May of 2011 his memoir, Basketball Junkie written with Bill Reynolds, was released followed by the Emmy nominated ESPN Films documentary, UnGuarded, directed by Jonathan Hock.
Chris is the founder of The Herren Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing treatment navigation, educational and mentoring programs to those touched by addiction and to educate people of all ages on the dangers of substance abuse. In 2012 The Herren Project launched a national anti-substance abuse campaign, Project Purple, to encourage people of all ages to stand up to substance abuse.
It is never too late to follow your dreams. It takes drive and follow thru to make your hoop dreams become a reality.
Chris resides in Portsmouth, RI with his wife and three children.