PROFILE: CHRIS HERREN•
|High School:||Durfee High School Fall River, MA|
California State University, Fresno
|NBA:||1999 NBA Draft 2nd Round (4th pick, 33rd overall)
Denver Nuggets 1999-2000
Boston Celtics 2000-2001
|Europe:||2001 Italy, 2002 Turkey, 2002-4 China, 2004 Germany, 2005 Iran, 2006 Poland|
- Inducted into the New England Basketball Hall of Fame 2013
- Inducted into the Durfee Sports Hall of Fame 2010
- Scored 2,073 Career Points
- 1994 McDonald’s All American
- Boston Globe, Massachusetts Player of the Year 1992, 1993, 1994
- Gatorade New England Player of the Year 1993, 1994
College – Fresno State University
- Ranked fifth in the nation in assists in 1998-99
- 2nd on the school’s career assists (465)
- 7th with 138 career steals
- All-WAC first team 1996 & 1997
- Denver Nuggets: Played in 45 games and contributed 3.1 points and 2.5 assists in 13.3 minutes per game
- Boston Celtics: Career-high 18 points Celtics against the Dallas Mavericks on 4/6/00
Off the Court:
Alcohol and drug-free since August 1, 2008, he has refocused his life to put his sobriety and family above all else. He shares his harrowing story of substance use and recovery in his memoir, Basketball Junkie, as well as in numerous interviews throughout the Emmy nominated ESPN Films documentary Unguarded, of which he is the subject.
In June of 2009, he launched Hoop Dreams with Chris Herren, to share his story with audiences in the hopes of reaching just one person and making a difference in his or her life on or off the court. In inspiring presentations, he draws on his own history and experiences to convince audiences that it is never too late to start making positive decisions and urges audience members to just “Be You”.
To support this vision, he founded The Herren Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing recovery navigation, family support, wellness education initiatives and community outreach with the goal of assisting one person, one family on their recovery journey.
In March of 2018, Chris founded Herren Wellness Group, a health and wellness organization that offers a holistic approach to recovery through innovative prevention and treatment solutions.
Chris resides in Portsmouth, RI with his wife and three children.